Discussion Questions for Sermon Series Twisted Week 2
Somewhere along the way, most of us become convinced that if we disagree with a rule or regulation then we're free to disobey it. We live life with the general notion that we should be able to do what we want, when we want, with no one to answer to. However, as we'll discover, when you choose to disregard authority, there is more at stake than is readily evident.
1. What rules or regulations do you disagree with? Do you follow them or ignore them?
2. What determines whether or not you submit to authority and follow the rules?
3. Read Romans 13:1. Does it surprise you that all authorities have been set up by God? How about the authorities who don't follow God?
4. Read Romans 13:2. What is at stake when we choose to rebel?
5. Read Romans 13:3. How is freedom found under authority?
6. Read Romans 13:4. What is the purpose of authority? Why not live in a world with no rules or hierarchy?
7. Read Romans 13:5. What do we gain when we submit to authority?
8.Who/What is an authority that has been set over you that you find it difficult to submit to? Why do you find it so difficult to submit to this authority? WHAT WILL YOU DO? How will you submit to authority this week?
Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Romans 13:1