THE THRILL OF HOPE Sermon Series #2 :Your Story
INTRODUCTION The adoption process is accompanied with layers of formalities, legal issues that must be observed, transactional paperwork that must be completed. But at the heart of an adoption is a relationship that forms between a parent and child . . .
1. Have you ever considered the adoption process? What stories have you heard about others who went through the process of adopting a child?
2. People from ancient Roman cultures would wait to see how a person turned out before they adopted someone. Would you consider adopting a child if you knew that child would eventually grow up to disown you?
3. What does it mean to you that God desires to adopt you as child of his?
4. Read Galatians 4:4-7. The term “Abba” is a very relational term. What other names do you address God in your prayers?
5. Why do so many people struggle with their self-worth? Would it make a difference if they knew how God viewed them?
If you have received Christ as your Savior, yours is a story of a beautiful adoption, If you have not, it could be. Because your adoption papers were signed the day Jesus died for your sins to redeem you from the consequences of being a law breaker. Now you have been invited to be his child. Your part is simply to say “YES.” “YES, I believe that when Christ died for me he paid for my sin. YES, I want to be adopted into the family of God.”
Because you are his children, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, “Abba, Father.” So you are no longer slaves, but God’s children; and since you are his children, he has made you also heirs.