Discussion Questions for Sermon Series Letters to the Church Part 7 - Crucified
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20.
1. In his book Letters to the Church, Francis Chan told of a man he met from China, who was leading a network of churches that were based on the following 5 pillars:
Deep, deep commitment to Prayer
Commitment to the Word of God
Committed to Sharing the Gospel
Regular expectation of Miracles
Embrace Suffering for the Glory of Christ
What are your thoughts on the 5 Pillars? How are things the same/different in our country?
2. What have you been taught about suffering? What do you believe? How does that compare with what they bible says about suffering? Here are a few verses to look at 1 John 3:13, &
1 John 3 16-18, Ephesians 6:11-12, Revelation 2:10.
3. Read 1 Peter 4:12-14. Do you expect suffering or are you surprised when you go through difficult times? How do you view suffering in the context of your relationship with Jesus?
4. Think about a time when you faced a hardship because of a decision you made out of your love for Christ? How did it cause you to grow? How could your attitude have been more like Jesus in the midst of suffering?
5. Think about a time when you sacrificed on behalf of another person. In what ways was it easy or difficult? How could you embrace this kind of suffering in your daily life?
6. How would your decisions big and small, look different if you made them all with only eternity in mind?