God With Us Week 3
This is how Jesus the Messiah was born. His mother, Mary, was engaged to be married to Joseph. But before the marriage took place, while she was still a virgin, she became pregnant through the power of the Holy Spirit. Joseph, to whom she was engaged, was a righteous man and did not want to disgrace her publicly, so he decided to break the engagement quietly. As he considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream. “Joseph, son of David,” the angel said, “do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife. For the child within her was conceived by the Holy Spirit. And she will have a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” All of this occurred to fulfill the Lord’s message through his prophet: “Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel, which means ‘God with us.’ ”
Matthew 1:18-23 NLT
1. What’s your favorite Christmas tradition?
2. Did your family read the Christmas story growing up?
3. How did this message change the way you think about the Christmas story?
4. Which part of Jesus’ human experience means the most to you?
5. Read Matthew 28:19-20. How will you respond to His command this next year? How have you seen Jesus follow through on His promise at the end of this passage?
6. Jesus went through a lot to be with you. What have you done, or what do you want to do to make room for Him?
7. What are you facing that you need Jesus to enter into as Immanuel?
8. How will you continue to encounter Jesus this week?
9. What are you asking Jesus to do in your life?