Discussion Questions for Sermon Series Christmas Carol - Week 3
1. How easy do you think it is for people to get distracted from the real meaning of Christmas? Explain.
2. What are a few ways that we can keep Christ the center of Christmas this year?
3. Read Micah 5:2-5. Why do you think that God would choose a small town with little fanfare for the birth of His son? Micah points out that Jesus the shepherd of Israel would be born in the shepherding town of Bethlehem. What are the characteristics of Jesus that are the same as that of a shepherd?
4. 3 rd stanza of O Little Town Of Bethlehem
How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is given
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of His heaven
No ear may hear His coming
But in this world of sin
Where meek souls will receive him still
The dear Christ enters in
Why do you think God chose for Jesus to enter this work so silently?
Do you agree with the carol when it described the gift equals that of the blessings of heaven? Explain.
5. Jon said, “When you feel insignificant that is when God does his greatest work in us and through us!” Do you think this is true? Explain. When is a time that you felt weak or insignificant and God
Used you in a big way?
6. Last stanza of OLTOB
-"O Holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us we pray.
Cast out our sin and enter in;
be born in us today.
We hear the Christmas angels, the great, glad tidings tell.
O come to us, abide with us, Our Lord Emmanuel." AMEN!
Why do you think so many of our carols refer to sin?
The writer refers to Jesus “ being born in us today”. How is Bethlehem similar to our hearts?
7. Emmanuel means, “God with us!”
What are some things that you can do this Christmas to remember Jesus is with you?
How can we be praying for you?