DISCUSSION QUESTIONS for Sermon Series Christian Part 4
1. Have you ever had to share a difficult truth with someone at work, in your family, or at church? Were you graceful in the way you communicated? How did that affect the way the person responded?
2. People focused on truth worry that others will get away with something, while those focused on grace worry that they might make others feel bad about themselves. Which better describes you? How does that affect the way you think about God and faith?
3. In your interactions with Christians, have you mostly experienced judgment, a wishy-washy avoidance of biblical truth, or a mix of truth and grace? Explain.
4. Read John 4:1–26. What do you find most startling about this story? What about it makes you uncomfortable? What about it is reassuring?
5. Read John 8:1–11. Talk about how Jesus navigates the tension between truth and grace in verses 10 and 11. Is it significant that Jesus tells the woman he doesn’t condemn her before he commands her to leave her life of sin? Why or why not?
If Jesus is the embodiment of grace and truth, and the church is his body, then we have to be comfortable with the mess, the tension. The church is at its best when it embraces God’s grace and truth and refuses to let go of either.