DISCUSSION QUESTIONS for Sermon Series Bystanders Week 4
Perhaps one of the most famous signs Jesus performed was feeding 5,000+ people with five loaves of bread and two fish. Those that followed Jesus thought he was finally getting to the point of what he could do for them. They were more enamored with the signs than with what the signs were pointing to.
1. Have you ever returned from a trip and not brought a gift for someone who expected one? Have you ever expected a gift from someone’s travels and not received one?
2. How would you define an “authentic” relationship?
3. Have you been in a relationship where you or the other person had an agenda? How did that go?
4. Read John 6:1–14, where the apostle John recounts the story of Jesus feeding 5,000+ people.
What are some details about this story that would lead a reader to believe this actually happened?
What do you think it felt like for the disciples to have thousands of people approaching because they wanted something from them?
In verse 13, John provides a detail about the amount of bread left over. Why do you think he included this?
5.Read John 6:25–27. Describe how the disciples and the crowd may have felt being called out by Jesus.
6. What is one thing you have asked God to give you that he didn’t or hasn’t yet? Has this disappointment led you to take steps toward God or away from him? What thoughts and/or feelings led you in that direction?
7. What can you do this week to follow Jesus more closely? How can you demonstrate more love for one another? Is there someone in particular to whom you could offer more grace and forgiveness? How can this group encourage you?
Let’s not be consumers. Let’s be followers. Jesus’ followers changed the world once. Perhaps we can do that again.
Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval. John 6:27